Danube Virtual Museum

Belgrade City Museum

The Belgrade City Museum was founded on October 5, 1903. That day, the Belgrade Municipality Registry noted a decision that the National Museum was housing the municipal museum in a special room written on the door: "Municipal Museum". Since the period of having a very rudimentary form, the Belgrade City Museum has expanded in its quantity, quality and a variety of museum objects and collections, as well as mobile cultural property. Even though the museum has grown, this one room has metaphorically remained present in the life of the museum for a long time.

At the beginning of the second century of its existence, the Belgrade City Museum counts 132,000 items officially registered. The number is definitely respectable and in a certain way even intimidating. What is more essential than the numbers is the diversity of items collected and their heritage.

The Museum consists of three main departments that collect, protect and research mobile cultural property: the Archaeological, Historical and History and Art Cultural Department. Within the Museum the Department for Conservation and Restoration and the Documentation Center also operates.

The Belgrade City Museum is made up of the following museums – The Residence of Princess Ljubica, Museum of Paja Jovanović, Memorial Museum of Ivo Andrić, Museum of Jovan Cvijić, Museum of Toma Rosandić, Museum of the Banjica Concentration Camp, Zemun Museum, Mladenovac Museum, Archaeological Site Vinča, Collection of Icons Sekulić, as well as a large number of immobile and mobile legacies that were entrusted to the Museum by the city of Belgrade or artists, scientists and other prominent citizens of the time.

In recent decades Belgrade City Museum has been the institution of contradictions. On the one hand, there are very rich and respectable collections and an obvious interest of the general public in Belgrade for the history of this city. On the other hand, however, the Belgrade City Museum’s housing - the capacity to store entrusted treasures, has been infamous for years. With a lack of space for the permanent exhibition, the institution welcomed the first years of the new millennia.

Belgrade City Council allocated the New Military Academy building constructed in 1899 (today in 40 Resavska Street) to the Belgrade City Museum in December 2006. In the following years, the plan is to reconstruct the building and to finally open a museum that our city deserves.

(Text: Belgrade City Museum)

Gallery

Contact

Belgrade City Museum

Zmај Јоvinа 1
11000 Bеlgrade
Serbiа
phone: +381 (0)11/ 32 83 504
fаx: +381 (0)11/ 32 83 504
web: www.mgb.org.rs
e-mail: office@mgb.org.rs